Saturday, August 13, 2011

Dat Dog=DANG GOOD

Dat Dog on Freret St.
OK...so I have a confession to make: I LOVE HOT DOGS.  On almost any given day, at any grill party, given the choice between a hot dog and a hamburger: I will chose the hot dog (especially if they're Hebrew National brand!).  So when I saw this little shop open up in January 2011, I knew I had to go. It was pretty empty that first month, but I kept on insisting my little brother who lived only 2 blocks away from it to go with me. But..he always claimed he was too busy or didn't want to go because he was hanging out with friends (what's new, apparently I'm not cool enough for him...) And what's worse, living so close, he didn't even know it existed! 


I was abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina from late February until late June, so I didn't get the chance to go until yesterday, much to my dismay.  Upon my arrival back to the dirty dirty, one late June afternoon, I was driving down Freret street and was surprised (but simultaneously not so surprised, if you know what I mean...) to see that "Dat Dog", which had been deserted in the months of January and February, was POPPIN'.  People were lined up out the door to get their sausage/wiener fix!  I always knew this place would be big, but I never expected it to receive this much attention!  It was even mentioned in the Wall Street Journal as one of the best places in the U.S. to get a hot dog.  Ahh! Alas...my dream come true!  A gourmet hot dog place not more than a 5-minute drive from my house!


When I first stepped inside, the first thing I noticed (other than the delicious aroma's escaping from the kitchen) was that it was HOT in there.  They have a relatively small space for the crowd density it attracts daily (and no AC that I noticed).  But apparently they're planning on expanding and moving into a larger spot across the street (mentioned in the WSJ article).  YES!! Excellent idea, because literally that is the ONLY problem I have found with this place!  Their menu offers two traditional "wiener" choices and nine different gourmet sausage selections along with a wide variety of toppings and some deliciously seasoned french fries.  Here is their menu below: (to view their menu, you can also go to their website ).
Dat Dog Menu on 08/12/2011
My only suggestion to this short but sweet (or salty rather..) menu would be to offer "suggestions".  They have some very interesting toppings and gourmet sausages and I think to offer "specialty dogs" would be a good idea.  In other words to suggest wiener or sausage and topping combinations and to give each "specialty dog" a creative name.  For example different dog species! Like "The German Shepherd" with one of their German sausages/wieners(Or I don't know..perhaps that would hit too close to home with some dog owners, imagining their own Rover in a bun...). These kinds of specialty suggestions are common in pizza and hamburger places and I personally love it because sometimes they offer combinations I would have never thought of and end up LOVING (like Reginelli's "Sun Pie" specialty pizza, one of my favorites!).  

As I was contemplating what to order for myself, I noticed that on the left wall near the register the owners have cleverly hung up a "dog house".  Here they place the name of someone or something in order for them to "contemplate the err of their ways".  Hahaha...  How clever! When I was there yesterday "congress" was in the dog house!  Just felt the need to comment on that...anyway, back to the food! I asked my brother to order first because I love to take time weighing all of my options.  My brother ordered the "Alligator Sausage" with andouille sauce, mustard and ketchup (he's not very adventurous with his toppings, but it was great nonetheless):
Dat's Sebastian's Dog right durrr!: Alligator Sausage, delishhh!
I finally decided on ordering the "Crawfish Sausage" (mainly because I've never had crawfish in sausage form and oh yea... because I LOVE CRAWFISH!!!).  I wasn't sure what the sausage would taste like so I didn't go too crazy on my topping choices but I got what I knew would be good: diced onions, tomatoes, sauerkraut, jalepeños, and brown mustard...HEAVENLY!:
My Crawfish Sausage piece of heaven. I'm literally drooling looking at this picture right now, gross Sofia...
All of these delicious dogs come on a toasted sourdough bun (mmm sourdough...).   As we were munching down on our delicious lunch, who walks in but one of my best friends, Marian and her boyfriend visiting all the way from Amherst, Mass.  After seeing our gourmet sausage sandwiches, they decided on ordering the same thing!  I love that "Dat Dog" has become so popular but still has not lost it's neighborhood feel (Not to mention our server was one of my brother's old buddies from high school!). Next on my list to order at Dat Dog (other than every single sausage they have on the menu of course) is an order of their "golden brown fries".  According to my friend Lara (who's food opinion I trust almost more than anyone else I know) they are TO DIE FOR.  And better than Rally's!  Which is a pretty bold claim...Rally's fries are one of my favorite guilty pleasures, they are so well seasoned in fact, that I would just as happily eat them without ketchup!  I plan on putting Lara's claim to the test on my next visit.

Overall, I give "Dat Dog" two thumbs up!  Or if I want to be corny (and you know I do...), two paws up!  Excellent, simple food and fresh ingredients with a friendly staff. I also think they have a great casual atmosphere if you don't mind the scorching heat...but believe me, every bite is worth the sweat!

No comments:

Post a Comment